Chestnut Ridge, named by early settlers of the region for the wealth of Great Chestnut trees on the hills. The park is approximately 1,213 acres. The structural foundation of the park's Adirondack shelters are composed of converted timber from the diseased Great American Chestnut trees. The Casino, est. in 1925 provided a meeting area for public and private uses. Included in the Casino design was a fireplace, concession counter and observation platform on the upper level--it offered an impressive view of Buffalo to the Canadian shore. A timber and stone structure replaced the original in 1938; this Casino structure remains in commission today.